Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What Do You Mean That's Not The Real Trailer?

My husband and I have oft debated about certain movies that have been in theaters lately, specifically movies that are based on old TV shows. His stance has been that the movies should try to capture the "feel" of the original TV series, and he has been sorely disappointed by nearly every attempt that Hollywood has made to bring these old classics to the big screen. My stance is generally along the "uh huh" side, with an extra helping of "I'm sorry you're disappointed dear". It's not that I don't get where he's coming from - I do. It's just that I don't really have those same type of memories about how old TV shows "felt". I haven't had any old TV shows that I loved made into horrible disasters of movies, and because I do not have the same obsession love of those old shows, I am able to completely appreciate the movies that come out as independent pieces of work.

Except G.I. Joe. That was just a bad movie.

Anyway, it's gotten me thinking about what will happen in twenty years when Hollywood decides to start turning the children's shows of today into the Blockbuster of tomorrow. I have to say, I'm a little bit concerned.  Are we really ready for "Dora the Explorer: Beyond the Map"? Or maybe we'll be treated to a 3D Epic Musical Adventure starring the Wiggles. Truly, do the audiences of tomorrow have a real treat coming.

I should mention, however, that I AM a wee bit concerned about the new Smurf's movie that is coming out next year. I'd really like to take my kids to see it, but I'm just not sure that it strikes the same tone that the original series had.



See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment